Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Agility? Australian Shepherd or Papillon?

The Pap is ranked in the top ten in Dr Coren's dog intelligence book and the AS is not, but they are also highly intelligent dogs to be sure. I think it is largely a matter of do you want a small dog or a big one? I would go with the Papillon, but I am biased as that is my breed. I did train a Pap for agility and he caught on like wildfire, but it was a UD dog. We never competed, I just did the agility & some freestyle to give him something challenging to do while we were working on his championship. (Yeah, I do it backwards) Another advantage to the Pap is they live longer and you can compete longer w/ them. You might also look at Shelties and Border Collies as they also excel at agility. I pick the Pap, but you can do well with either.

No comments:

Post a Comment